August 12, 2012

Free Pattern Thoughts in Thread - Block 8


The year is disappearing fast and it's time to give you the second last block in the free Block of the Month Thoughts in Thread quilt. Wow, I'll have to start thinking about next year so I have something to share with you each month in 2013.

So here is Block 8 with the focus on admirable - kind, winsome and gracious - thoughts.



I LOVE receiving letters and it's always a highlight of the day to go and check the mail box to see if the postman has been (as long as he doesn't bring bills!). When I was a child, the mail was delivered twice a day from Monday to Friday and just once on Saturday. The postman used to announce that he had popped a letter in your letterbox with the blowing of his whistle.

It's rather different now with most of our communication in and out by e-mail, but the bonus is that I get to check the mail box every time I sit at the computer and don't have to wait for the postman!

Over the years I've received some wonderful letters - so many kind and gracious words have encouraged me, lifted me up when I was down, and put a smile on my face. Seeing I'm an incurable romantic, you won't be surprised that I was especially thinking of all the love-letters my husband-to-be sent me. As we were living in different States, we did most of our courting by letter.  I just had to depict this in my quilt!  



I hope you enjoy stitching this block.  As usual, it and all the other blocks of the quilt, are available on my website here.

While you're there downloading the block, you might like to have a look at the couple of new patterns that I have put on the website.  A number of you really liked my Showers of Blessing quilt which was published in Australian Country Threads magazine recently. 


For my international readers who have difficulty obtaining our fabulous magazines, the pattern is now available for purchase here.

My "Cook with Love" oven mitt and trivet would make a great gift or would be ideal to make for a fete.


It's quick to make and snazzy with its check binding. The pattern is available here.

It's been a busy week but I've made headway on a couple of new projects.  One is all about colour and the other is all about embroidery - two very different styles but I really like them both!  More about that another day.

Meanwhile, happy stitching!

Val


7 comments:

Allie said...

I LOVE it, Val, thank you dear girl! How sweet to get love letters from your hubby-to-be..I'm sure you've kept them all. I love your new patterns too!

Marsha B said...

Val, it is another beautiful block! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Such a precious memory. I think this just became my favourite, Val.
Hugs
Jenny
xx

KaHolly said...

Very sweet, Val, just like all the rest!! Hope you're doing well! ~karen

Melody said...

Such a beautiful block. Thank you so much

Sisbabestitches said...

Gorgeous block, definitely my favourite. Courting by email or mobile texting just doesn't have any of the romance of love letters does it?

Ondrea said...

More gorgeous things. Thanks for the BOM pattern too.