May 10, 2009

Free Pattern Launch


The day you have been waiting for has arrived! Today is the launch of my “What is Love?” free Block of the Month pattern.

This BOM pattern will run for nine months commencing May 2009. There will be eight little stitcheries which are very quick to embroider and in January 2010 I plan to give you the final embroidery design with instructions on how to put this small project together. That means you will be able to complete this mystery pattern for Valentine’s Day – February 14th, very appropriate since we are working on “What is Love?”. So keep an eye out for the next pattern in the second week of each month.

This pattern is FREE, for personal use or to make as a gift. You may also give a copy to friends and tell them where to find me but please do not use the pattern for profit.

I’d love it if you would put my “What is Love?” badge in the sidebar of your blog with a link back to http://val-laird.blogspot.com. (Just right click and Save Picture As a jpeg file onto your computer, then upload it to your blog.) Let me know in a comment at the bottom of this post or e-mail that you’ve joined the programme.

It would be great to see photos of your finished blocks so post them on your blog and put a link back to me or email them to me so we can all share in your creativity.

Requirements:

To start the project, you will need one fat quarter of off-white tone-on-tone fabric for the stitcheries. Cut it into eight rectangles 3½ x 5½ inches.

You will need a favourite fat eighth print to work out your two main thread colours.
This is my fat eighth fabric and I chose the violet and plum colours to work the stitcheries. Four stitcheries are worked in the violet and four in the plum.

You will need a dark, medium and light shade of the violet stranded thread and a dark and medium shade of the plum, as well as a dark Brown, Yellow, Green and Off-white.

My favourite stranded threads are by Anchor so I will give you the thread numbers that I used and you can substitute your own wherever I mention these in the patterns.

97 Light Violet
98 Medium Violet
99 Dark Violet
267 Moss Green
305 Saffron
380 Chocolate
926 Magnolia
1018 Medium Plum
1019 Dark Plum

If you want to collect fabrics for the rest of the project over the next few months, then decide which will be the main colour out of your two choices. I chose the violet. These are the requirements:

Fat eighth of three different violet tone-on-tone fabrics
30 cm of plain violet homespun

Click here to go to the download site.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Happy Stitching!

Val

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your BOM pattern!!

CCY

Anonymous said...

Oh, Val, this is so lovely!!! I will definitely be doing this one, and soon. I downloaded the patterns, and since I had just finished doing a bunch of sunbonnet Sue blocks for a swap (on BlockCentral.com) - an image of Sue and Sam, where he's giving her flowers, popped into my head. I just may have to do that embroidery, and surround it with your stitcheries. Either way, what a wonderful wedding/anniversary gift this quilt would make. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Gerda in Canada

Anonymous said...

OH I love this pattern and am so happy you are sharing it with us!! Can't wait to do it! Not too many you can find with scriptures mentioned and this is very encouraging to see someone do one in scripture! THANK YOU for your inspiration! God Bless you!

Khris said...

Thanks Val this is lovely. I have put a link to you on my freebies blog..hugs Khris

Hazel said...

I just found your blog and love the blocks ,I'll put a link on my blog .

MOMENTS Designs said...

What a lovely BOM !!
I have linked it to my blog so that others can also enjoy it...Thanks for sharing !!
Liz

c said...

Lovely, simple and elegant-thank s

Anonymous said...

I just found your site thanks to Becky of the Golden Thimble. I am downloading all the blocks. Do you have a cross reference for the colors in DMC? I don't use Anchor but would like to use the DMC I have. Thanks for the lovely project.
Ginny

Unknown said...

I am a follower of Jenny Reynold's blog Elefantz, and today 28/9 followed her link to your blog and free Love BOMs. Thank you for the five I have just downloaded and also for the remaining blocks that will follow. Thank you that you have used the love sayings from the Corinthian letter of Paul.

Béa said...

I just found your blog & love the blocks. I put the link on my blog.Thanks for the lovely project. Hugs from France.

Country Mom said...

These patterns are so cute! My son is getting married in Aug. This would be great for him and his new wife. thanks so much. Dee

toñi said...

Me gustaria apuntarme, son muy bonitos los dibujos del "WHATS IS LOVE·"
Mai name is Toni, mi mail lia_esp@hotmail.com
GRACIAS.

Jytte R said...

I was around the elephanz blog and found your blog with your free 'What is Love?' BOM. This is really beatiful. My son has birthday on the 14th February, so I will make this for him and his wife for the next birthday. Thank you.
lynghoej@nypost.dk
Jytte R

Denysem said...

Obrigado Val isso é lindo.
Eu coloquei um link para você no meu blog.
Hugs

Michelle said...

I have just come across your blog and I have to say I will be back....I love the stitchery blocks ....cheers Michelle in Sth Aust

Bellas Manualidades by Thais Wever said...

Hola me enteré gracias a una de mis amigas, y en realidad es un precioso proyecto, y por supuesto me encantaría participar. Mi email es thaiswever@gmail.com

Un abrazo.

B J Elder said...

My friend just told me about this site and BOM. I love it!

B J Elder said...

PS - Just added you to my blog. ;-)

M Angeles said...

Hi my name is M.Angeles and I really like your BOM patterns. I would like to participate in the project, my e-mail is: angebernat@hotmail.com Thank you

Maria del Valle Abad de Pinto said...

hola valentina me gusta tu blogs hermoso ¿Que es el amor? ya lo pase a mi blogs http://tejidosmanualidadesyalgomas.blogspot.com
  cariños

Unknown said...

I love this!! Please let me know how to access November's pattern.

patcheztoo@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

first time on this site. wow. i am having problems accessing patern

fry27@dodo.com.au thanks k

Odette said...

Hola espero que no sea muy tarde para iniciar este bello proyecto, esta realmente encantador y sobre todo que es sobre un pasaje de la Biblia lo aprecio mucho más, muchas gracias por compartirlo, comenzaré de inmediato a bordar y los pondré en mi blog, mi correo es odette_carcamo@hotmail.com, vivo en Iquique Chile.
Ha sido un placer visitar tu blogs...
Muchos saludos
Odette

Pat from Florida said...

I just found this BOM today! It would make a beautiful handmade wedding or anniversary present!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Wow, there are so many generous people in blogland!
The BOM looks beautiful! It will be one to keep an eye on!