January 1, 2012

I don't do New Year resolutions!

Happy New Year!  I hope you have a wonderful 2012 filled with many blessings.

Years ago I faithfully used to make my New Year resolutions, only to find a week later that I had already broken them and didn't have a hope of sticking to them.  So, why bother???!!!!  Now I don't do the NY resolution thing and don't even have any big goals for the year.  I am happy to plod along doing whatever comes to my hand to do each day, and to stitch and design as I have inclination, time, inspiration and whatever else is needed. That's one of the advantages of being retired! There is a great sense of freedom in my life and I LOVE it!!! 

That's not to say the diary is empty!  There are already 11 magazine commissions, a design to produce for a charity, a workshop being organised and an online workshop at Patchwork Posse.  I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have plenty to fill in my days!

I have a couple of projects that came out in magazines during December that I haven't shown you yet.  This one is my Trail of Roses Scissor Pillow, made from Silk Dupion.  It is like a pincushion attached to your embroidery scissors with a pocket on the front to keep them in between usage.


and here it is in Australian Country Craft and Decorating, Vol 23, No 3:


  We had an amazing Christmas with all 25 of our family members present.  We worked out that this was the first time this has ever happened!  Can you imagine the fun ... and madness!


Eighteen of us are still together so there hasn't been much sewing done, BUT I have done a bit of hand-quilting on the new 2012 free Block of the Month quilt which I will be making available in a couple of weeks. I am really pleased with it.  It is one of those designs that just came together beautifully first time.  The "Consider the Lilies" 2011 pattern has been taken down from the free site in readiness for the new 2012 quilt.  It is now available for purchase.

Time to go and play another game of 500 - our nightly entertainment!

Happy stitching!
Val

6 comments:

Quilt Kitty said...

Happy New Year Val! How nice to have so much family around. It's a great photo too. Looking forward to seeing the new BOM, the peeks were gorgeous. Tracee xx

Susan said...

Christmas Day would have been a tad busy I imagine but a lot of fun! All the best for your resolution-less 2012

Quiltin' Sandy said...

What a wonderful picture, Val. How lovely to all be able to share this time together.
Looking forward to your new BOM.
Wishing you every blessing in 2012. Sandy. :)

Jeanette said...

I don't either. The scissor pillow is gorgeous. Great family photo. Happy New Year. Hugs,

Christine M said...

Happy New Year Val. That's such a special photo of all your family together. Love that everyone's wearing Santa hats!

Allie said...

Happy New Year, Val! I wish you a marvelous year - you're sure starting it off right, lol! I don't make resolutions either, but I did make a couple of goals that I'll be working toward.
Your Trail of Roses is just stunning - you make the prettiest things!!! GREAT family picture, enjoy!