January 31, 2016

Showcasing a fabric range

I love fabric ranges! I know that some quilters like to choose their own colours and mix and match fabrics to suit their style. I know that some think that using a fabric range is somehow 'cheating' and taking the easy road. 

Well, I am happy to let a fabric designer do all the work. I'm delighted that they have spent many hours getting their colours just right and that I can buy up to 40 fabrics that will blend perfectly, that will have a combination of small, medium and large-scale motifs, will include light and dark contrasts and will contain good basic tone-on-tones to work beautifully with the patterned fabric.


When I saw the pretty Rosemont Manor Fabric range by E. Vive for Benartex, I fell in love with it immediately. I bought a set of 12 fat quarters and some yardage and then wondered whatever I was going to make with it! I decided that this range deserved to be showcased in a quilt!


I chose the simple Snowball block so that the focus could be on the beautiful prints. However, it needed something to finish it off, so I had fun creating an applique border. I called the quilt "Black Beauty".


I am happy to say it has been featured in the wonderful Patchwork & Quilting magazine, Vol 25, No 8. It even made it onto the cover:


Black Beauty was one of  two quilts I made last year. Two in a year is just about my limit! My fondness is for small projects - bags, wall-hangings, stitching accessories, cushions - so making a quilt is a big effort for me! You will then be as surprised as I am when I tell you it is only the end of January and I have already completed one quilt top! Maybe I might break the record and stitch three this year!

Happy stitching!
Val

9 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

That is a lovely quilt, Val and the colours are gorgeous. Well done! My limit has been a couple of rag quilts as I am straight line challenged. LOL!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! Great fabric choice! I haven't used fabric by one designer but maybe I should. That applique border makes it so special.

Rosa said...

Congratulations and more to come .Your quilt is stunning!

Barb said...

Fabric ranges are designed for colour illiterate folks like me I think! I can't seem to co-ordinate fabrics in a fit. Those quilts are just gorgeous Val. I'm hoping to attempt a simple black & white quilt/chair cover for hubby this year (maybe some red in it too).

Createology said...

Black Beauty is Stunning. I think you are very wise to utilize a designer's fabric medley line. I can't ever think of a time when any wheel needed to be re-invented. Creative Fabric Bliss...

sunny said...

What a pretty quilt! I would have never thought to use black, but it is so perfect.

Carla Fiedler said...

Black Beauty is truly a beauty! The border applique is stunning! Lovely!

Ondrea said...

I must say that the quilt is rather stunning. I am a fan of coordinated fabric ranges especially when it reduces time auditioning fabrics and having to run back to the quilt shop all the time. Clever you!

Gina E. said...

Fabulous quilt, Val! I love seeing those fabric collections, but resist buying them because I have so much fabric in my stash that I want to use without buying more if I can help it. I do buy solid colours when I need them, to support multi coloured lengths that I have on hand, as the solids never go astray.