August 17, 2014

Free Block of the Month Wall Quilt Pattern 8


The months whizz around so it's time to give you the next free mini-quilt in the Shining Like the Dawn wall quilt.

The word for this month is "Delight" - not a noun, but a verb! It comes from Psalm 37:4 which is another of my favourites:
   
"Delight yourself in God and He will give you your heart's desire."  
That sure is the secret to a contented life!

You can find the pattern here.  I hope you enjoy stitching this little quilt.


Burlap/hessian and lace is such an incongruous mixture ... but it works! I called this bag "Widdecombe Fair" as it was designed as a quick bag to make for a fete or fair. The name is a throw-back to my childhood when we learned the Devon folk song at school. The words and tune are still fresh in my memory!


The pattern can be found in Handmade magazine Vol 32 No 10:


 We have twins in our family - boy/girl twins and these delightful young people have just turned 21! Last weekend we had a wonderful family party to celebrate. Our talented younger daughter made the cake: 


All that lacework, and what looks like cupcake papers, are made of chocolate. There were further surprises when the cupcake 'papers' were removed to find all sorts of goodies inside:


You can see some of the other cakes Janelle has made here.

Not much stitching happening in my neck of the woods at the moment, as we've had a visitor staying with us and I am also counting down to our trip to Japan. This stitchery did get completed:


One of the 'must finish' jobs for this week is to prepare nine little applique and stitchery blocks to take with me. I would never enjoy a holiday if I didn't have some stitching to do, though I don't expect to get much done as daughter has already booked me to do some of her sewing!

Happy stitching!
Val


6 comments:

Jacqueline Morris said...

You make the prettiest of things, I love your blog :)
smiles :)

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip. I love this design best of all so far. I have a feeling those little flowers will show up on a CQ block before I make this actual stitchery. Thank you so much!

Tammy said...

Thank you for part 8. Love the new design picture you showed us that wasnlt finished...It is so pretty. And that cake looks way too yummy...

Lady Jane said...

I love that design. You know I make a lot of cakes but that cake is awesome!!! Have a great trip.

Createology said...

I am reviewing your posts I missed and it is such a joy to see your lovely works of stitchery art. Love the penny farthing cushion. Creative Bliss...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for another piece to this lovely wall hanging.
Carol O