April 5, 2015

The finishing touches

  
Happy Easter! May you enjoy the many blessings of the amazing event we celebrate.

I thought it was about time I shared again some of the hints, tips and know-how that I have picked up over the last few years in my role as a designer. Today I want to talk about "the finishing touches" or "how to take a project from ordinary to gorgeous". I'm focusing particularly on stitching accessories, which, because they are small, lend themselves easily to adding that little extra. 

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.” 
Jimmy Johnson

So here are some of my "little extras". 
Gold fused beading:


Picture these items without the beading. They might be pretty, but they really don't look finished until the "little extra" is sewn on.  The set below has Pearl beading:


Don't despise the humble binding. See how the lavender binding on this needle-case acts as a frame around the darker border fabric:



Braid makes a wonderful finishing touch:


Closely connected is the twisted cord edge. In contrast to the commercially made braid, you can make a twisted cord so easily yourself:


Twisted cord is probably my "go to" finishing touch:


I love that there are so many colours of thread available that you can always have the right colour, in contrast to the limited range of store-bought braid. I added little picots when sewing on the cord on this set:


You couldn't get much simpler than running stitch, but that was all that was needed to give this set its finishing touch:


If you are using felt, there are even more options available with its "no fray" properties. A simple blanket-stitch sews the pieces together and gives the finished look:


On this bag I used a variation called closed blanket-stitch and used a contrasting thread:


So, think about adding that "little extra" next time you want to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary.

I didn't get much done last week with a couple of lots of visitors, a funeral to attend and Easter upon us. I will accomplish even less this week and I am very happy about that because that means family will be here!!!

Enjoy your Easter celebrations.
Val

7 comments:

Susan In Texas said...

Oh Val, the gold bead and pearl bead edges are just gorgeous! I love how you always take the time to get it just right. You're right; it makes such a difference.

Take care,
Susan in Texas

Nanna Chel said...

Val, I love looking at your beautiful work. Happy Easter and enjoy the week with your family. Don't get too exhausted :-)

Christine M said...

Happy Easter, Val. xx

Kate said...

Love your finishes, Val. Happy Easter!

Quiltsmiles said...

Your work is exquisite! I love the details of your finishes and they really brings your projects over the top. All beautifully done.

LJ said...

Your work is always inspiring and so lovely. You mentioned making your own braid. Do you have a posting or a tut where I might learn how to do that? Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I always love everything you do. You seem to have that magic touch of beauty and elegance.