December 11, 2022

More than the shiny tinsel

I am suddenly becoming aware that Christmas is just around the corner! I do most of my shopping online from the convenience of my home, but I had occasion to go to a shopping centre last week. As my husband would say, "There's an awful lot of stuff there that I don't want to buy!"

Sneak peaks of my 2023 Block of the Month design

I've put up my Christmas Tree, decorated the home, even put up some fairy lights in the front yard, bought the turkeys and the ham, thought about how I am going to accommodate the family, and this week I will go searching for the Christmas wrapping paper that I'm sure I had left over from last year!


With all the hustle and bustle of Christmas preparations, how easy it is to forget the reason we celebrate the season. I wrote a little poem, as a reminder of who Christmas is all about.


More than the shiny tinsel
More than the Christmas Tree
More than buying presents
For the like of you and me.

Christmas is Someone’s birthday
It’s Jesus – that’s the thing -
What then shall we give Him
The One who was born the King?

I pray that you will be blessed as you stop to remember the wonderful gift of Jesus, God's gift of love to us, and consider what we can give Him - nothing less than His rightful place as King of our lives.

Happy Christmas to you and your family.
Val




5 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Merry Christmas, Val! Your poem is precious, and a good reminder of precisely why Christmas is celebrated in the first place. It seems too many people forget that "bit." I am in complete agreement with your wise husband about "an awful lot of stuff I don't want to buy." Of course I think that's more the case as we get older. Still, it seems that gifts of money are most practical these days, hopefully for grandchildren to save for college. Have a blessed remainder of the month... and I hope you find that wrapping paper!

Tamara from Canada said...

Dearest Val, Thank you so much for your gentle reminder of why we do this Christmas thing. In this world it is easy to get sidetracked. I would love to include your poem in my Christmas letter to friends and family. Would that be okay? Wishing you and your family a wonderful celebration of Christ's birth and many blessings in the coming year.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Beautiful peom, Val...and so true! Thanks for the sneak peek. I am so thankful for the gift of Jesus this holiday season...and for friends like you! Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family.

Nanna Chel said...

Val, my daughter and family don’t give Christmas gifts as they just prefer to celebrate the birth of Jesus. So I just give them money for their holiday and they can buy themselves something they want instead of sending them presents. So much money is wasted at Christmas on gifts people feel they ‘must’ give.

I doubt I will be seeing my grandchildren at Christmas due to the cost of diesel and accommodation so I hope you have a wonderful time with yours.

Have a blessed Christmas. Chel

Susan said...

I loved your sweet poem. The peeks at next year's project look great. I didn't do so well this year with downloading blocks, but I'm getting better physically, so I'll try again with 2023. =) I'm grateful for the knowledge of my Savior and His gifts to me. I hope I can always remember and trust in His love. Merry Christmas to you and your loved family. I hope you have a good day with your husband.