October 19, 2014

Shades of purple


When we arrived home from our overseas trip, in amongst the mountain of mail that greeted us were our lovely Australian craft magazines. Some of them had my projects in them, one of which was the "Gathered 'round the Christmas Tree" Candle Mat:


This year I decided to go with non-traditional colours for my Christmas designs. I love how rich purple is. The fact that it goes well with either silver or gold just gives more reason to use it for Christmas! Then, of course, Radiant Orchid is the Pantone Colour of the Year so that was inspiration enough. I had so much pleasure in making this design. I'm very fond of felt and using it for applique is just a delight.


We live quite a distance from any craft stores, so I rely heavily on what is in my cupboards when I'm producing projects. I was very disappointed when I went looking for some gold star charms to top the trees and found nothing in my stash. I was thinking I would have to embroider some when I had the brainwave to look in the button drawer. To my delight, I found eight purple star buttons which were just perfect for finishing off the trees.


You can find the pattern in the latest Patchwork & Stitching magazine Vol 15 No 11.

Springtime in the Australian bush is quite spectacular. We saw so many beautiful wildflowers during our recent time away: 


The intricate detail is mind-blowing:


I always say that purple is obviously one of God's favourite colours:


It's one of mine too!

Happy stitching.
Val

10 comments:

Christine M said...

The purple looks great Val. Another lovely project.

KaHolly said...

How adorable. I love making candle mats, and purple is perfect! Glad you returned home safe and sound. Hope you had a funderful time away.

gracie said...

Nice idea to change Christmas colors to what is a favorite...love the candle mat.

Anna Zont said...

Adorable! Beautiful colors!!!

Latane Barton said...

That mat is so adorable. And, I do love Purple.

Thoeria said...

Oh I do love that you are using a non-traditional colour for your christmas patterns! Also means that you could use them at any time of the year! More opportunities to appreciate their beauty :)

Tammy said...

This is gorgeous. I love all the new non traditional colors everyone is using now for Christmas. I use aqua myself now for the past 2 Christmas's

agullainquieta said...

M'agraden molt tots els teus treballs!
Una abraçada

Unknown said...

Your purple star buttons are perfect for the trees. An amazing piece...
Happy Stitchin'...
Carolyn
http://www.stitchopedia.comStitchopedia...
An encyclopedia of needlepoint stitches…

Anonymous said...

What beautiful flowers! Thanks for sharing a little springtime in Australia. I love the candlemat design and the purples you chose are great Christmas colors. How serendipitous that you had the purple star buttons.