May 22, 2016

400 inches of binding!

400 inches of binding is a LOT of binding! 


... eleven width of fabric 2½ inch strips (I'm thankful I could use my Accuquilt Go Cutter to cut them), diagonal cuts to prepare them for joining, stitching the joins, trimming the ears, pressing the seams open, then pressing the binding in half.


Next step was to find a big enough clear floor space to spread the quilt out to measure the binding to see that the joins would not land on a corner. 


Then it was manouevring 10,000 square inches of quilt under the machine to attach the binding.


Of course the bobbin ran out in the middle!


Mitre after mitre, stitch by stitch and around the quilt we journeyed.


Out onto the table to cut the binding and prepare for the final join.
 

By this time I was quite pleased at my progress.


What I hadn't counted on was how long it was going to take me to hand-stitch that binding to the back!


 Yes, I could have done it all by machine but I knew I would not be happy with the result.


So inch after inch, I stitched that binding down - 400 inches of it!


Two nights and five hours later and it was done!


Was it worth it?  Absolutely!


PS Hasn't my quilter done a fabulous job?

Val
 Jinny Beyer quilt design - free Craftsy Class 2015.


14 comments:

Maryannep said...

Just beautiful Val, I love the fabulous colours, my favourites!!! Well done!!!

Maryanne

KaHolly said...

Val, it's absolutely stunning!

Margie said...

BEAUTIFUL that's all I can say.

Milton and Mr. Stubbs said...

There is not one thing I don't love about this quilt! Fabulous!

DIGBY said...

I'm speechless!

Createology said...

This quilt is stunning and sew very beautiful. Embracing Creative Bliss...

Anonymous said...

Val, what a stunning quilt you have made! I noted the free course on Craftsy and decided I did not want to do it -- way above my "pay grade"! Good job!

Guida said...

Lovely quilt, I love doing the binding the best, its so relaxing. Guida

Carolyn said...

OMG that is a gorgeous quilt! And yes your quilter did a marvelous job!

Annmarie said...

That quilt is AWESOME! Worth every inch of binding!

Anonymous said...

Yes, your quilter did a fabulous job, but I know she was thrilled to work on something so completely beautiful. That had to inspire her wonderful efforts. Definitely worth it, and nice to have it done. It looks so good with your pillow shams. Congratulations on a job well done - and you better be keeping that one for yourself. =)

karmyl said...

That is amazing! Congratulations on a job well done.

Sisbabestitches said...

Oh my such a stunning quilt! So worth the challenges you had with the blocks :) I'm not sure I would have made it over the hurdle of more than 10 metres of binding, though how stunning it looks would have been quite the incentive :)

Ondrea said...

Oh my! I am totally in awe of your quilt! The colours are so amazing. Simply stunning!!!!