November 27, 2016

Holly Christmas Tree Ornament - Free Pattern

Thank you for finding my blog post. Unfortunately, this page is something I wrote many years ago, and circumstances have changed, so I now charge a small amount for my patterns.

However, there are still a couple of free Christmas patterns available. Check them out on the Freebies page


You can see Christmas patterns here:


My other patterns can be accessed from the Pattern page:


Today I have another little Christmas Tree Ornament for you, featuring Holly.


I was wondering why we use Holly to decorate our homes at Christmas and discovered a few ideas. Here is one I like:

The prickly leaves represent the crown of thorns that Jesus wore when he was crucified. The berries are the drops of blood that were shed by Jesus because of the thorns.

The Holly and Ivy carol has these lines:
"The holly bears a berry/As red as any blood/And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ/To do poor sinners good."  "The Holly bears a prickle/As sharp as any thorn/And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ/On Christmas Day in the morn"


I rather like the simplicity of this little decoration with nothing other than some red blanket-stitching to finish off the edges.


Another version I have made has green ric rac around the edge, stitched in place with French Knots. I like the white background too.

As usual, the pattern is available free in my Craftsy Store.


We start our round of Christmas break-ups this coming week and I've been making some of these little decorations as mini gifts.
 

A bit of gold braid adds some glitz:


I think my favourite edging has to be crochet. It's certainly the one I enjoy doing the most:



Have you made any of these ornaments yet?


 I have just a couple more of these to make and then I am excited about starting the 2017 free Block of the Month wall quilt for you. It's all designed, the fabric is chosen, and it's just waiting for me to start cutting and embroidering!

Happy stitching!
Val


6 comments:

Kate said...

All of your ornies are beautiful, Val, and I especially like the holly. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I DEFINITELY like this one best. LOL I love what you said about it, and that's one of my favorite Christmas hymns. Thank you for sharing this lovely ornament and doing it for free. I need a week playing in my wool stash now. I like this on that off-white, and think I might have some leftovers from another project which will work.

margaret said...

all these will look beautiful on a Christmas tree, on no a BOM I have promised myself not to take part in any in 2017 so I can catch up with other projects looks like you are tempting me to break my promise.

Guida said...

Thank you Val for this lovely pattern, something my daughter can make over the holidays ready for next Xmas. Have a very Merry Xmas and a very happy New Year. Guida

Gina E. said...

I love all your felt ornies, Val :-) We don't have a Christmas tree at my home, not worth it with just the two of us, no kids, and only occasional visitors (that's the way we like it, I'm not complaining!) because of hubby's poor health. But I still like to make little ornaments and pin them up around the house, or give them to friends who have admired them.

Anna Zont said...

Beautiful ornaments!
Thank you!