March 4, 2018

Fruit Salad in a quilt

If you thought I was over the top with my penchant for black (see my last post), you might think I have really gone overboard with my fruit salad quilt!


I really like the jewel-like colours of Eleanor Burns' fabric range, "Forever Love".  I wanted to use the Arbor Window quilt block (aka Granny Square) so decided that this was definitely a case for having a black background, which shows up both the fabric and the piecing so well. 


I talked here about how the blocks were made without having to align any points - my style of piecing since I'm an imperfect piecer!


As I much prefer doing applique to piecing blocks, I did plenty on this quilt.


The fabric colours were so good for depicting various fruits.


One of my favourites below - cherries - both the applique and eating them!


I made this project using the quilt-as-you-go method.


The appliques are all in the borders, so it took a long time to get round the whole quilt!


The grapes took forever, but I am so pleased with the result on the finished quilt. The different fabrics used for the grapes give a really great effect when the quilt is viewed from a distance.


All the above photos were taken before quilting, so here is the finished product:


It's looking very happy in our family room, covering a small pool table.

I'm finished my "black phase" for the moment and am having fun with another quilt with lots of appliques - and an off-white background! It's using a wonderful new Tilda range of fabrics which will be in stores soon. 


Speaking of Tilda fabrics, I have now added the pattern for my "Cottage in the Garden" quilt to my Craftsy Store. A number of folk who don't have access to Australian magazines told me they would like to buy the pattern, so here's the link if that is you!  

Happy stitching!
Val


9 comments:

MartinaM said...

Wow, your Quilt looks fantastic, and the fruits are perfekt.
Greetings, Martina

Christine M said...

Hi Val. Your quilt looks great.

Nanna Chel said...

Val, I saw some Tilda fabrics out at the patchwork shop at Highfields last year. They are so very pretty.

Carolyn said...

WOW both are fabulous! I've been seeing some quilts w Black as the background fabric. Thinking about trying it. After I get the 6+ baby quilts finished and a couple of UFOs! LOL

Sharm said...

Oh gosh Val, the fruit came out looking so good ..... and added to that quilt with the black background it created quite a stunning effect!

I'm guessing this next little quilt is the one you have done the link for (which I'm going to check out). I really love this little quilt. I don't really get to see new fabric ranges as the local material shop prefers to purchase things she likes rather than fabric ranges.

sunny said...

Your fruit salad quilt is gorgeous!! Congrats on a beautiful finish.

Little Penpen said...

What a beautiful quilt! and yes, the black just makes all the colors pop! The fruit applique is wonderful. I love this quilt!

Teresa said...

Absolutely marvelous fruit salad

Vesuviusmama said...

Wow! Just stunning!