May 14, 2018

Memories from an Autograph Book

When I was nine or ten years old, my parents gave me an Autograph book for Christmas. The idea was that your friends and family would write little sayings on a page in your book. Of course, if you met someone famous, the Autograph book was the place to have them sign.


One such clever adage in my book was:
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME
which translated says Too Wise You Are, Too Wise You Be, I See You Are Too Wise for Me.

I only ever found one famous person to give me his autograph and that was Wally Grout who was the Australian Cricket team wicket-keeper back in the 1950/60s. 


One of the verses written in my Autograph book was from a poem by Dorothy Gurney. It must have made an indelible impression in my mind as I remember it so well many decades later.

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.


It wasn't a surprise then, when I received the new Tilda fabric range, called "Sunkiss", that the verse in the Autograph book popped into my mind.


Sunkiss is a gorgeous fabric range which has just been released in stores, and I have enjoyed playing with the beautiful colours. Of course I just had to make a "Kiss of the Sun" wall quilt!


The quilt measures 81cm (32 inches) square, has easy piecing, needle-turn applique and a few sweet embellishments. The pattern is now available in my Craftsy Store
  here.
 

I think the poem has a lot of truth in it, don't you?  A beautiful garden certainly shows God's amazing creative handiwork, and if we can't physically be in one of our own, patchwork and quilting sure gives us plenty of opportunity to create a garden with fabric.

Happy stitching.
Val





5 comments:

Little Penpen said...

I love the sentiment with your design. It's beautiful!

Createology said...

What a lovely way to add memories to beautiful fabrics. Your sentiments are powerful and your stitchings are bringing them to life. Blessings and Wonderful Week...<3

Linda said...

Just lovely, and so true!

Rosemary said...

I love your quilts and the thoughts you express so well on them. Into my cart the pattern goes until later today! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and talent.

Gina E. said...

Can't believe it is so long since I visited your blog Val! But I am enjoying catching up on everything you've been doing :-) Loved your sentiments about Australia on an earlier post, agree 110%, best place in the world to live :-)

This post about your autograph book brought back memories of mine from school days - still got it somewhere. I also have one from my maternal grandfather, much larger and more ornate than what we had in the 1950's. Grandpa's book not only has verses but miniature paintings and sketches to accompany the words. Just beautiful.