August 19, 2018

Sweet Dreams

I am often found quoting a rather well-known maxim amongst my circle of friends -"There's not much fun in getting old!"  The anticipated days of leisure and sweet dreams of plenty of free time, when you no longer have to go to work every day, sometimes end up spent in doctors' or x-rays or pathology or hospital waiting rooms!

However, one of the greatest joys in growing old is having grandchildren! Hubby and I have been blessed with 15! They are scattered around the world now so we don't see a lot of them but hearing snippets of their life and progress brings us great joy. In recent years, every second Christmas has brought most of our family together for days of sheer delight in just being together.


Last year we were blessed with another joy of old age and that was the birth of our first great grand-daughter. Molly-Faith is such a sweetie and chock full of character. She lives a long way from us now but we are looking forward to spending some time with her and her parents again in September.


Of course, the first thing I did when baby was on the way, was to make her a quilt!


Homespun Magazine liked the quilt so much, that they have published a 'generic' version that I designed with "Sweet Dreams" on it. I have made it in the Quilt-As-You-Go technique, so it is super easy to quilt and put together. Here is Homespun's photo of Sweet Dreams:


The quilt is in the August Issue of Homepun and this fabulous magazine is available worldwide with both print and digital copies. www.homespun.net.au


The blessing of a new baby certainly brings many of those Sweet Dreams into reality!

Happy stitching!
Val

9 comments:

KaHolly said...

The quilt and the baby are absolutely adorable! How great Homespun Magazine thought so, too!

Little Penpen said...

I saw this post on Instagram and just LOVED this quilt. I think I saved the photo for later, but I'm glad you posted this post with info. I love that you put her name on it; she is an absolute cutie!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a pretty quilt for a sweet baby. Congrats on your great-grandchild.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Oh Val, those babies are definitely blessings of our aging!! My favorite saying is "Getting old ain't for sissies!!" LOL And that is true in many respects!

Congratulations on your new pattern publication. It is certainly a sweet little quilt! And, Molly-Faith is a little beauty! I know you will enjoy your time with her in September. I am blessed in that my three grandchildren all live only about a mile from me! And I get to help our daughter by picking them up from school each day. I am truly blessed!

Nanna Chel said...

Val, the quilt is beautiful as is the bub's name. If only we could get old without all the aches and pains LOL!

sherry of createology said...

Congratulations Dear on your first Great Granddaughter Molly Faith. Her quilt you created is sew cute and she looks like she really enjoys it. Homespun magazine is very smart to publish it as Sweet Dreams. Family is Priceless <3

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I loved your reflections on retirement, Val. Most days I don't have enough hours to get it all done. My, 15 grandchildren and even a great, you really are blessed.

Createology said...

Congratulations on your first beautiful Great Grandddaughter Molly Faith. The sweet quilt you designed and sewed for her is precious. I will become a Great Grammy this Fall and it is such a joy of getting older. Blessings Dear...<3

Susan said...

That little girl is adorable! No wonder you look forward to having some time with her. The quilt you made, or the more generic version, too, is wonderful and I'm not surprised the magazine loved it.