February 7, 2021

The Clayton's Holiday

 It's quite a while since I had a holiday, and I'm not likely to be able to have one for some time, so I chose to have a Clayton's holiday in January. (An explanation for those who are not an Aussie: it means 'the holiday you have when you are not having a holiday', based on Clayton's non-alcoholic drink, widely advertised in Australia in the 1970/80's as "the drink you have when you are not having a drink'!)

Apart from staying in bed a little longer whenever I could, I enjoyed just sitting in our lovely patio area, surrounded by the lush greenery,


and checking that the mealy bugs hadn't come near my African Violet.


I bought myself a new fern:


and was surprised how much the air plant had grown:


Our older daughter in Japan finds innovative ways to give presents when she lives so far away. Two years ago, she organised for this aspidistra to arrive by post as a tiny little plant in a cardboard box. It brought great delight this week when it produced its first flower:


Each day I would check on my passionfruit vine, firstly trying to contain it to my side of the fence, and then checking if it was dropping any ripe fruit,


and eagerly watching the new fruit appear.


I needed to do a little bit of work and freeze some passionfruit pulp for later when the vine finishes bearing.


Then it was a quick look at the capsicums,


nip the flowers out of all the basil plants (far too many self-sown plants growing in the pebbles!), 


and over to the lemon tree to admire the very good crop this year.


Then out to check how many flowers were on the hibiscus,


and see if any of the cacti were flowering. (They weren't but this is what one of them looks like when it does!):


I did not dust the house for the whole month - unheard of for a perfectionist - but I did play lots of Scrabble games and enjoyed it when I beat the computer. I sure learned a lot of new words but can't remember what any of them mean. If asked, I can always come up with the standard "It's a three-toed sloth" answer!

Our younger daughter was also on holidays so we were able to spend lots of time talking on Skype. I also completed a wall hanging, using one of a designer friend's lovely patterns. But more about that another time!

Keep an eye out for the next instalment in the Gentle Gems 2021 Hexies of the Month programme. Two new patterns will be available next Sunday.

Hope you enjoyed an insight into my Clayton's holiday - I had fun being totally lazy!

Warm regards
Val

6 comments:

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your Clayton's holiday sounds fun, Val! I had a giggle at your "self-sown" plants! My dear mama used to call them "volunteers" because they just volunteered themselves right out of the ground without any assistance from her! LOL I have a brown thumb. Your violet is absolutely gorgeous. My granny used to have the most beautiful African violets and I've had a lot over the years, that just didn't make it. I do have a couple of Christmas cacti that have survived, but they just bloom anytime they want...they're very confused! I hope you have a blessed week.

FlourishingPalms said...

I love that term "Clayton's holiday," and thanks for the explanation. I can pretty much safely say that many (too many) of us are having Clayton's holidays this year - and last! How nice that you have such a lovely garden and plants to enjoy. I have only basil and one African violet (given to me as a gift) to keep tabs on, though I do occasionally check the status of the blooms in the landscaping. We lost three large (five feet tall) hibiscus to a freeze in 2017, and I didn't replace them. As we were 30F two mornings ago, I'm disinclined to plant more of anything that might not weather those temperatures. What I really covet is your passionfruit! I can't imagine growing them, and eating them fresh! I remember having my first taste of passionfruit while in Australia, and liking it. I bought two CANS of passionfruit to take back home, thinking to use them on a Pavlova. You can imagine how upset I was when airport security confiscated them, and I watched as they were tossed in the trash. Grrr. In any case, I'm glad you're appreciating your garden and at-home time. We count our blessings as we receive them.

Nanna Chel said...

Val, being a carer is not easy so I am pleased you had some small breaks from the role. I love that cactus. Such pretty flowers.

Tamara from Canada said...

With our part of Canada being under a "stay at home" order, I feel like I am in a permanent Clayton holiday (glad you defined the term). While we are enjoying a lovely sunny day it is rather cold and of course nothing is growing outside. How lovely to be able to enjoy your plants and garden. Not sure "lazy" could ever apply to you but I am glad to hear you can relax. My husband and I are enjoying watching Coast Australia on TV Sunday evenings. I look forward to seeing your part. Ciao, Tamara

Val Laird said...

Thanks for your kind comment, Tamara. I don't envy your cold weather! Hope you can see the lovely Sunshine Coast in your TV viewing.

Susan said...

I think a Clayton's holiday is just the ticket for now...and lovely that you have such a productive garden to admire and harvest.