March 13, 2022

When the eyes grow dim

 I am ever so grateful that I still have reasonably good eyesight. I can still hold a driver's licence, work on the computer, see to operate my phone, and thread a needle. I have had to wear glasses for a very long time to assist, but in the last decade my eyesight has not deteriorated or changed, so I am thankful. 

Whenever I have spoken to the optometrist about the fact that I can't see as well as I used to when I do fine embroidery, he tells me that I will always need to use a magnifier for that. I don't need it for everything but it is very helpful for stitches like backstitching where you are trying to put that needle in the exact spot of the previous stitch!

For many years I have had an OttLite floor lamp that included a magnifier on an adjustable arm. Sadly the many years of adjusting that magnifier to be over my embroidery finally took its toll and the bracket broke and was beyond repair.

 I decided that rather than try to replace it, I would take a simpler approach and use the hands-free 'round-the-neck' magnifier that hubby used when he worked his cross-stitching. (These are all his work pictured here.) That great idea went a bit pear-shaped when I tried to see through the scratched and crazed acrylic 'glass'. It had obviously seen better days, so it was time to do a Google search on what was currently available. 

I decided on a Carson Hands Free Lighted Magnifier and I am quite pleased with it. A dear friend asked me could I complete a cross-stitch for her and I have found it very useful for that. I haven't done cross stitch for a very long time and I am struggling to see where to put the needle without the magnifier.  With memories of the scratches on hubby's tool, I thought I should try to protect mine, so made a little pouch for it. The bright fabric celebrates some of Australia's beautiful coloured birds - makes me smile every time I see it.


On the 10th March, I celebrated an anniversary - 13 years as a Blogger! I entered the blog world on 10 March 2009 and what a pleasant journey it has been. Thank you to those have stood with me for so many years and thank you to those who have come on board recently. I appreciate that people want to see what I have been up to in life and stitching and make connection, even if we will never see each other face to face.  

Thank you too to those who have joined the 



March patterns have been circulated and I hope you enjoy stitching the bird and dragonfly.


Another cute little number hexagon to do as well:
It is still possible to join the programme, so jump over to here and you can find out all the details.

Happy Stitching!
Val

8 comments:

KeyQuilter said...

Your comments on seeing are similar to what I've been feeling lately. I've had to watch my husband die of leukemia. Until then I thought "being old" was in the future! Now, being an "old widow lady" is hard to swallow but true. I haven't sewn since mid-December & not sure when I will. Like you, I see well enough. My hands work well enough. But my heart is broken- hope I can find sewing joy again. Thanks for what you do.

FlourishingPalms said...

Your husband did counted cross-stitch?! Wow! I didn't know. It's truly impressive that he did it (used to, I'm thinking), and that his pieces are so elaborate! Gosh, I owned a CCS shop for several years and my hubs didn't show the slightest interest in it. Oh well. Your magnifying light is interesting. I'm afraid that my eyesight HAS changed in the past 18 months or so - due to more stitching through the pandemic? - and that when I visit the optometrist again, I need questions answered. No idea if mine is "fixable" but I'm hoping so. Still, if it means investing in a magnifying light or lamp, I'll do it. I still have too much interest in handwork to give it up anytime soon. Glad you're able to continue stitching too!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I do understand about the dimming of the eyes, Val! I've worn contact lenses for over 50 years and even with one for distance and one for close up, I still have to use "cheaters" for close work and I need lots of light! Your hubby's cross stitch is beautiful. WOW! I really love your new pattern. Going to head over and sign up. Thanks for the reminder. It's really cute.

Nanna Chel said...

Val, I used to have a magnifier but have no idea what happened to it. I have given up on embroidery as I find it too hard to see the stitches. Your hubby did some lovely work over the years. Congratulations on your blogging achievement. I am a bit hit and miss these days.

Val Laird said...

I'm so sorry you have had such a difficult time of late. I hope you will soon be able to pick up some sewing again as I have found it is always so therapeutic. It won't heal the broken heart - only God can do that - but it might give you a little glimmer of joy to brighten your heavy days. Praying for you.

Gina E. said...

Hi Val, it's been months since I visited your blog, so I had much to catch up on! Love your cross stitching (and your dear hubby's work too) and I can relate to the magnifyer around the neck - I have two that I have been using for many years, and like you, made a pouch for each of them to protect them from scratches. My eyes are still very good, according to my optician, so I am very grateful, as I have to do everything for my hubby now, and driving is essential.

Christine M said...

Those embroideries are beautiful. How wonderful that your husband likes to stitch too. Congratulations on 13 years of blogging Val. I started in 2009 too. Didn't think back then that I'd still be blogging now! xx

Susan said...

Congrats on 13 years of blogging!!!! Have been following you for a long time!!!!I have been blogging for 15 years now. Love your embroideries!