October 30, 2022

The Vegetable Garden has colour too!

Following on from my last post showing some of my vegetable garden, I thought I would let you see some of the colour that turns up there - it's not all just green!

There's always plenty of flowers on the self-sown cherry tomatoes:


The seed heads on spring onions always fascinate me. I think they are really quite attractive:


Dianthus always put on quite a display and the bonus is that the flower petals are edible:


I discourage the basil from going to seed by pinching out the tops, but when it escapes, the flowers are quite a pretty shape: 


I'm always happy to see the bright yellow flowers of the zucchini, though I was a bit peeved when most of the flowers on my current batch of plants were male. (Yes, males are needed, but they're not much use for producing fruit!!!):


I love the delicate flowers of the chives:


Tarragon is making a lovely show at the moment:


Even the thyme has delicate flowers:


These yellow flowers are much smaller than the zucchinis, though they look similar. The cucumbers they have formed have been amazing:



These pretty pale purple flowers are actually in my front garden. I like them for their lovely striped foliage and the fact that they are very long lasting. It was only when I used an App to find out what they were that I discovered they are Society Garlic and are edible! 


There has also been plenty of colour going on in my 2023 Block of the Month quilt. It is looking so pretty! I have completed the quilt top and am very happy with it. Here's a sneak peak of one of the blocks:


The more I read the Bible, the more I realise how absolutely up to date it is for daily life. The new quilt has timeless truths from God's Word, written thousands of years ago, but totally relevant for 2023. The plan is to launch the BOM in January, so keep tuned!

Happy stitching!
Val

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh those flowers are so gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your garden and the sneak peek of 2023 bom. I'll be getting in on that! I love the scriptures and how timely the things God's prophets tell us. Life really hasn't changed as much as we think and neither have people. The Bible is still relevant! Thank you. Susan - dezertsuz

Nanna Chel said...

What a lovely veggie garden, Val. It has been a long and cold winter here so we are a bit behind you as regards our veggies being ready to pick. I just hope hail storms are few and far between.