February 12, 2023

Nasturtiums and a Name

How good is the quote for this month's block in the Timeless Truths wall quilt? "A good name is more desirable than great riches." Proverbs 22:1


People make getting rich their big goal in life, but forget how important it is to have character traits like integrity and reliability. Businesses don't do very well in this day and age if they don't have a good name - a bad one ensures they won't have the great riches! The Bible is just SO relevant to the 21st century. 


Timeless Truths Wall Quilt is being offered in 2023 as a Block of the Month project. It is ideal for using scraps, jelly roll strips, charm squares, layer cakes and fat quarters. The wall hanging measures 32 inches square (81 cm) and consists of nine blocks with borders. You can join the 2023 Days of Delight Calendar BOM at the total cost of $20.00. 

Talking of names, do you know what the name 'Nasturtium' means? It means 'twisted nose' because of the reaction you have when you savour its pungent taste! I have always loved nasturtiums, but not to eat, though the leaves aren't too bad with their peppery flavour. They are so easy to grow, always bright and cheerful, and so easy to propagate. 


Late last year, a friend asked me to finish some embroidery for her. We worked together in the 1960's, she was one of my bridesmaids, and she had her first child around the same time as my younger daughter was born. Christmas newsletters and occasional phone calls have meant we have kept in touch over the years.


Sadly, her son had Cystic Fibrosis and was given a very short prognosis. Thanks to her amazing dedication in giving him the care and treatment he needed, he defied all odds, became an architect, and lived into his 40's.


In his final years, he was not well enough to work and took up cross stitch and embroidery. He had started this nasturtium embroidery, but sadly passed before he could complete it, so I was asked to finish it for her. He was quite a perfectionist and his work was so neat that it was hard to tell the front from the back, so I was a bit concerned that I might not reach his standard, given my advancing years and failing eyesight.


I enjoyed embroidering it of course - always happy with needle and thread in my hand. I even learned a lovely way of making a straight line interesting. This is a double stem stitch using six strands of thread and I really like the effect it gives:


Once the embroidery was done, then it was packed into the bag I take with me when visiting hubby and I spent some happy afternoons crocheting a pretty edge around it, while I was with him.


I'm hoping my friend is happy with the results!

Happy stitching!
Val



3 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

First of all, your BOM is lovely... especially so because of the truths it contains - absolutely relevant to our times! Second, I didn't know about nasturtium (couldn't even spell it!) so I appreciate that information. Your friend's son obviously was a meticulous stitcher, and she was smart to ask you to finish this piece. You did a lovely job. Interesting - that double stem stitch. And I love how you edged it! You have such skills. There's no way I could simply sit - some happy afternoons - and crochet such loveliness. At least not without following pattern directions, and much crocheting and uncrocheting. You do beautiful work!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

That is beautiful, Val! I'm sure your friend will love it. I know I would! I'm so happy you could finish it for her. It will be a special memory.

Susan said...

Oh, how gorgeous that is. I'm so glad you were able to finish it for her. What an amazing story his is. Thank you for sharing that. I'm hoping to get the Jan-March blocks prepped to do on my trip away from home in April and May. I don't want to take my FW, though I might, so handwork seems a good choice.