August 13, 2023

A kind word cheers the heart

This week I was the recipient of some kind words. Wow, they made a difference to my day! I felt uplifted and appreciated and cared for and there was a spring in my step.

The Bible gets it right when it says, 'Anxiety weights down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.' Proverbs 12:25 NIV. There's a lot to weigh down people with anxiety these days. Where I live in Australia cost of living has risen so much and people are struggling to pay mortgages and put food on the table. Insufficient low-cost housing has meant that many people just can't find somewhere to live. There's plenty of room for a kind word to lift people's spirits! 

That is the verse that is the focus of Block 8 of the Timeless Truths BOM Wall Quilt.  

Hopefully we can make a difference and someone might be able to soar above their anxieties like these pretty kites because of our kind words.

There hasn't been much crafting going on in my house, but there is always some crocheting to do when I visit hubby in Care. Most of my hand towels and face washers all have a pretty crochet edge now. I think they take a very ordinary piece of manchester up to something to be appreciated!

This lot is ready to stitch on to a towel:


and this will be a pretty edge when it is all complete:


I have to confess to some indulgence this last week! One of our beautiful grand-daughters came to stay. She is an Apprentice Chef so took over all the cooking for four days! I dined on meals like Seafood Chowder with King Prawns, Mussels and Salmon, Vietnamese Salad, and Goat's Cheese Stuffed Chicken Thighs.

Her New York Cheesecake with berry coulis is out of this world!


To go along with the indulgence theme, I spent an hour or so browsing through Pinterest - something I haven't done for ages. It sure got the stitching mojo going! Now for some more time in the day to get started!

Happy stitching!

Val









3 comments:

Dorothy Matheson said...

Hi I do so much like your statement today. I also like the edging you are doing. I also crochet edging onto every day items. I cut kitchen towels in half and crochet at top on it that tapers to a hanging loop so it may be hung on the front of the stove or a door knob. I would like the pattern you are using for your edging.

Susan said...

I loved this post, Val. It takes so little for us to be kind, and it makes such a difference. When I was teaching, there were those who said not to smile before Christmas. I always thought the only smile some children got would come from a teacher that day, and I was going to smile! I couldn't see that it made a difference to discipline, but it surely made a difference to spirit. Still does. Between kind words and you delicious eating, what a great few days. That cheesecake looks so good. Here, to, costs have skyrocketed, and it's harder than ever to pay the expenses of living. I keep hoping if we can all hang on a little longer, things will get better. The depression was the decade before I was born after the war, but I heard many stories from my parents, and I've tried to do some of the things they did to keep going.

I'm so glad you have stitching time when you visit your dear DH. Keeping the hands busy sometimes keeps the heart going, too. God bless you both with good memories of even these harder times.

Val Laird said...

Dorothy Matheson - Hello Dorothy,
The crochet edging is copyright from an Australian magazine so I can't give you the pattern, but there are some wonderful edging patterns here that are totally free: https://freevintagecrochet.com/edgings.html

Have fun
Val