October 2, 2026

Viewing the Red Dress

No doubt you have heard about the amazing Red Dress. It was a 14-year collaborative embroidery project (2009-2023), which provided a platform for women, those especially in vulnerable situations, to tell their stories through embroidery. 


It was worked by more than 370 embroiderers from 51 countries, and is constructed from 87 panels of burgundy silk dupion.

A few weeks ago, my younger daughter stayed with me for a few days, in between work conferences she was attending. The timing coincided with the fact that the Red Dress was on display in Brisbane, our nearest big city. Needless to say, this was an opportunity not to be missed!


There was just so much to look at on this amazing dress. The variety, styles and skills were certainly something to be admired. It weighs nearly 7 kg, so not something meant to be worn! 



The Australian panel was worked by 27 Brisbane embroiderers:
  

We made the most of our time in the big city and after dinner we went to an amazing Vivaldi concert by the Australian Brandenberg Orchestra, played on authentic baroque instruments.
As part of enjoying time with my daughter, I managed to make some donation items for the Christian Bookstore that she manages.
I'm revelling in our beautiful Spring weather at the moment, and with more time on my hands now, I'm able to spend extra time in the garden. All the vegetables that flourished through Winter are finished - Bok Choy, Beans, Lettuce and Snow Peas. I'm hoping to get a crop of cucumbers and some more lettuce growing before the weather gets too hot. I was also given some lovely cuttings of flowering shrubs to put some colour in my front garden. They are getting some TLC so that they will take root and thrive!


I am hoping for God's blessing of rain to come down on my efforts so that there'll be some photos of a thriving flower garden soon!

Blessings
Val







No comments: