July 28, 2019

Tailor's Buttonhole Stitch and an updated Pincushion and Needle Case

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago here, I have decided to update some of my older patterns that have never been available in my shop, and make some lovely new versions.

So here is the Enchanted Garden Pincushion and Needle Case:


As you can see from the photos above, the embroidery is appliquéd on, but it is worked as you go onto the felt. Instead of doing blanket stitch around the cream handkerchief linen, the flowers, leaves, toadstools etc. form part of the edge of the appliqué.

 In this updated version I have used some of my favourite stitches. These flowers are outlined in Palestrina Knot stitch: 

 The toadstool uses that stitch too around the edge. One technique I like when I am working satin stitch is to outline it in either split stitch or back stitch. It is very difficult to get a perfect satin stitch shape, so the edging covers any unevenness.

I did the same with the green toadstool. I chose chain stitch to work the toadstool bases.

 It's hard for me to leave out roses when I'm doing embroidery, so, yes, some bullion roses have their little corner. Do you notice The leaves are worked in fly stitch, then I have added a back-stitch edge around them which I really like, compared to what I have done in the past and just used the fly stitch.

 The flowers below are worked in the lovely Tailored or Tailor's Buttonhole stitch. Some embroiderers say Buttonhole stitch is just Blanket-stitch worked close together. I was taught that they were different, but be that as it may, the Tailored Buttonhole Stitch is definitely worked quite differently.


The key difference with the tailored buttonhole stitch is that it has a knotted edge.  In the days when buttonholes were made by hand, the tailored buttonhole stitch was used to give extra durability to the edge of the buttonhole. It helped prevent fraying and made the stitched buttonhole less likely to unravel if the thread became worn and broken. Can you see the knotted edge sitting up on the blue/pink flowers?

Tailored button-hole stitch can be made in different ways and be worked in different directions to achieve the stitch, but basically the needle goes over two threads whereas in blanket stitch it only goes over the top of one. Blanket stitch is really a looped stitch, whereas buttonhole stitch is a knotted stitch.  See the needle over two threads:

 See this loop in the thread - that's where the knot is going to be formed:

and here are the knots:

 I learned all that at my mother's knee and I'm so happy to think that there are a number of influential embroiderers out there who are also trying to get the message across, like Nordic Needle with their mission to preserve heritage embroidery techniques. 

If you like the Enchanted Garden Pincushion and Needle Case, you can purchase the pattern on my Pincushions & Needle Cases page here.


2020 Block of the Month Wall Quilt

I have been working on the Block of the Month Wall Quilt that I plan to offer in 2020. It is going to consist of 12 blocks with embroidery and applique.  

 I've finished the first block and it is all coming together beautifully.

Have a great week ... and happy stitching!
Val


4 comments:

Little Penpen said...

You do such beautiful embroidery stitches. I only know a couple of basic stitches. Your patterns are lovely.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, these are so sweet! I know I’m going to like your BOM wall quilt!

Petal49 said...

I agree that your stitching is beautiful and my grandmother taught me the difference between blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch. I am yet to master the Palestrina Knot though.I will keep practicing.

Carol O said...

Love your work it is Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.