January 26, 2020

Oven Mitts and holes

Oven Mitts and holes definitely do not go together. When I found my favourite oven mitt had worn out so badly that it now had a hole in it, it was obviously time to send it off to the 'worn-out gear heaven'!


Some years ago I changed from using potholders to oven mitts. I find them safer and so much more protective.


When I looked in my linen cupboard, I discovered that my only other oven mitt was also looking very thin and ragged so it was obviously time to despatch it too.


Recently I was given some scraps of these lovely Australian fabrics. Among these left-overs, there were some long strips of fabric - just enough to be able to cut what was required to make myself some lovely new oven mitts.


Now, I reckon the economies of scale really apply when you are making something like this. Why just make two when I could make three???


Among the packet of scraps was some of this bright and cheery frog print. These fabrics all came from the sister of a very kind friend, so I decided to make my friend an oven mitt too out of her sister's fabric.


 I used my "Cook with Love" pattern and in between the two pieces of quilt batting I have inserted Insul-bright Heat resistant batting. I am so pleased with the results as they are so quickly made, so useful and add a bright note to my kitchen.


My chosen fabrics on my new ones were too busy to include the appliqued heart from the Cook with Love pattern, but I like it on my original design.

If you want to make your own oven mitt, my Cook with Love pattern is available in my store, and there is the bonus Trivet  pattern included, all for just $5 AU. (less than $3.50 USA) 
...................................

Thank you to those who have joined the More Precious than Jewels Block of the Month programme. I hope you have had a chance to start Block 1.  If you missed it, you can look here, and can join at any time.

Happy stitching,
Val



5 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

That is nice fabric, Val. I probably need to make myself some oven mitts too one of these days when I unearth my sewing machine after our renovations.

Little Penpen said...

Those are so pretty!!!

KaHolly said...

I’ve never used these long oven mitts, and often thought they might be too cumbersome. But, my daughter has an upper and lower oven, and the upper oven is so awkward to get in and out of, I’m wondering if these might not be the answer.

Susie said...

These look so good. I much prefer the long ones. My aunt used to make them amongst other items and sell them at the Red Hill market in Melbourne for many many years. My uncle used to cut the fabric and my aunt had an industrial sewing machine and would churn them out It ended up finding a few trips back to her homeland of England. . She passed four years ago and I wonder how many people still have her mits. Mine lasted until last year. Was falling apart and I had to resort to paying a small fortune for another one. I must try and make it also.

gypsymaison said...

These oven mitts are well made and heat resistant it is wonderful These mitts are the best They work well and the size is really good.