May 9, 2021

Fountain and Cotton Reel Hexies

The months seem to fly by so quickly, don't they. It's already May, so I have two new hexies to show you in the 2021 Gentle Gems Hexies of the Month Programme. The first one is in homage to my stitching passion, so it features reels of cotton. We can't do much stitching without threads, can we! 


I have lots of reels of cotton! When the local quilt shop closed its doors, there was nowhere close to home to be able to purchase threads, so I made a big investment and bought a set of 270 Aurifil Mako threads. It has been wonderful that I can always find the perfect thread to match the fabric, right in my own craft room. Those reels of thread have been worth every cent I paid for them.


It would be fun to have pretty reels like these, wouldn't it?



The second hexie is a fountain. Somehow moving water always has a calming effect on me. Over the years in our various homes I have had small water features, occasionally with a little fountain, though nothing as elaborate looking as our May hexie pattern.


The patterns for these two Gentle Gems Hexies have been sent to all who have joined the 2021 Hexies of the Month programme. It's not too late to join and it's very reasonably priced, so hop over 
here for all the details.


You might remember that I wrote a post earlier in the year about Bunka Thread and the roses I was embroidering with it. I'm pleased to say that the stitching is now finished. I then had the usual problem in thinking what I might do with the completed project. I have so many wall-hangings and didn't want another one. I could make it into a cushion cover, but didn't really see any use for another of those. I decided in the end to make it into a doiley.


I soon found just the right crochet thread in my stash and it didn't take long to work an edging to frame the beautiful picture. I am really thrilled with how it has turned out.


Thank you to everyone who has sent kind thoughts and prayers for me and my hubby. There was a seamless transition from hospital into respite and now yesterday that became permanent care. He seems content and happy and the staff are welcoming and caring, God is so good!

Val
 

4 comments:

The Vintage Journal said...

Dear Val, thank you for the next 2 hexis, they are sweet. Your roses doiley with the crocheted edge is beautiful, and so lifelike.
Praying for you and your dear husband at this time, to permanent care. It must be stressful for you. But, yes, God will give you the strength to cope with this stage. Wishing you all the best. Hugs and blessings, Angela 💕

Val Laird said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Angela. I appreciate your prayers, hugs and blessings - they wrap me in God's love. Val

Teresa said...

I received the May patterns and can't wait to get them started. I especially like the spools (or reels) of thread. I am glad all has gone well with husband and pray you will some good days with him in the future.

Susan said...

I am sure that is a bit sad for you that your husband is being looked after by others - but if he is happy & content - I hope you can be too.