June 11, 2023

A Heart at Peace and a Healthy Body

It's amazing how the Bible was written so long ago but is SO up-to-date. The verse on the June Block of the Timeless Truths Block of the Month Wall Quilt is from Proverbs 14:30: "A heart at peace gives life to the body but jealousy rots the bones." The Easy-to-Read Version puts it this way: "Peace of mind makes the body healthy, but jealousy is like a cancer."

It's only in relatively recent years that the medicos have discovered how much our attitudes and state of mind affect our health! Jealousy and wanting what other people have is very bad for one's physical, mental and spiritual well-being!


Hubby and I used to love collecting shells, learning their names and finding out everything we could about them. It was a very peaceful pastime, so I designed a block with a shell to reflect a heart at peace.

Of course, we can only know true peace of heart and mind, when we know the Prince of Peace - Jesus. That is my testimony - in spite of all the emotions, trauma, grief, sadness and exhaustion of watching my darling hubby decline with dementia, God has given me His amazing peace.


Block 6 has been sent out to those who have subscribed to Timeless Truths BOM. If you wish to join this project, the cost is a one-off $20 which covers the whole pattern for the year.


I don't seem to have a lot of time these days to be creating beautiful bags, quilts and stitching accessories as I used to. Sometimes my creative energies have flowed in other directions, but one thing that hasn't changed is that I still can't bear to watch TV without having some stitching in my hands! I have enjoyed working on this beautiful vintage printed linen and then crocheting a pretty edge for it.


 While I had the crochet hook out, I decided to make a garter for our grand-daughter's wedding which is coming up soon. I don't know whether she will want to wear it, but at least it's something pretty to put in her drawer!


May the God of peace fill you too with His amazing peace!

Val

4 comments:

Pauline Barlow said...

I love this post Val.I too find peace in the presence of God,life is stressful at times but with faith anything is possible. God Bless you and yourHusband. Thank You Val for sharing your beautiful work and your Love of God
Very Kind Regards Pauline Barlow UK

Val Laird said...

Thank you so much Pauline. It sure is a peace that passes understanding. God bless.
Val

Nanna Chel said...

Val, I agree. A lot of people these don’t have peace in their lives. Chel

Susan said...

That is a verse well worth taking to heart. I find the same benefits to accepting the cancer in my life that actually is cancer. When I bend my will, peace flows in, and the Lord is with me all the time. I know He is with you, too. I'm grateful for this month's block. Your granddaughter will, I hope, choose to wear that beautiful garter. I know I would in her place.